Sunday, April 01, 2007

Alan's Renewable Energy Project (#1)

Alan has a plan. While attempting to reduce our energy use in the house, we are experimenting with a few things (solar re-chargable batteries, solar lights, LEDs etc.). During the course of which Alan has realised that it should be possible to power the 4 AA batteries that run the automatic door of the Hen Coop using a small solar panel. [For those who don't know us, this is probably enough information to enable you to deduce that Alan is in fact an Engineer]. So, this was today's project!

3 comments:

GreenEngineer said...

Hi,

We also keep backyard chickens (and rabbits, but that's another story) and I've been researching options for an automatic coop door opener/closer. You made reference to having one, but I couldn't find details in any of your other posts. Could you post more information or email me?

Thanks!

Brent

GreenEngineer said...

You can email me at

greenengineer -at- lorax -dot- org

Thanks

Father Geek said...

Just saw your solar powered chicken door opener... I'm building something similar for my own coop and documenting it as well at http://iedaddy.wordpress.com/2008/06/16/solar-powered-chicken-coop-update/

I'd love to hear about any issues you've had along the way when dealing with solar powered devices.